udv-hsz hsz-csik
2017-12-16

Min: 7
Max: 9
Min: 0
Max: 2

About Székelyudvarhely

Székelyudvarhely (Odorheiu Secuiesc) is situated in the east-southeast of the transilvanian pelvic girdle, in the east side of Küküllő (Târnava) nipple, on the overhead of Nagyküküllő (Târnava Mare) river. It’s delimited with Szarkakő (Piatra Tărcii), Nagyoldal (Dealu Mare), Csicser and Budvár hills.

The city is an important traffic interchange, railway terminal point. From Csíkszereda (Miercurea Ciuc) there are 52 km, from Szováta (Sovata) 52 km too, from Marosvásárhely (Tîrgu Mureş) 100 km, from Kolozsvár (Cluj Napoca) 200 km and from Brassó (Braşov) 100 km.

The city is situated at 477 m altitude above sea level. Székelyudvarhely is the second important city of Hargita county in consideration of teritory and population.

It has about 40.000 inhabitant (conform 1996 census there were 39.484 residents).

According to archeologist excavations, the teritory of city it was a built-up area from millenniums.

The „Uduorhel” name is mentioned at first time in the papal note from 1333.

Got it’s privilegies from hungarian lords and kings.

The city’s hatchment: armour-plated hand with a snare, heart and bear-head skewed on snare, and in the upper space the 1558 annual number between four stars.

The inscription of signet-ring: „Sigillum oppidi Siculicalis Udvarhely”.

The „székely” (szekler) antecedent in the city’s name appears for first time in 1613, in the reign of Bethlen Gábor.

Town's hatchment Town's flat

The medieval economy was determined by the daily market, the weekly fair, by the national crowd and the handicraft guilds. The tradition of guilds preserved in the industrial corporations of the XIXth century. At the very beginning and in the deep of XXth century the settlement remained a hick town, the town’s facade, economy and population structure was reformed by manufacturing industry estabilished in 1970. The 1989 years political revolution opened up new opportunities for the small and medium-sized sole proprietorships.

The city was build without any town-planning scheme, the body of town infiltrated between the 4 townships and 3 villages from inshore of Nagyküküllő (Târnava Mare) river. During centuries the city got his independence from ministry, from castle and at last from county, and from 1968 became municipium. Székelyudvarhely is mentioned in the same time as a city with spa-therapy possibilities thanks to its mineral water medicinal-springs.

Also is a famous city of schools, with a powerful pedagogic system, serving the town and its region needs. The city has seven primary schools, five technical colleges and nine secondary schools. There are also agrarian industry and computer technology university departments, senior classes and a business-school with economist upper classes.

The cultural needs of Székelyudvarhely is supported by institutes like Culture center („Tomcsa Sándor” theatrical trupe, „Udvarhely Néptáncműhely” folkdance group), „Cimboraház” Scholars house, Municipal and scientific library, and „Haáz Rezső” Museum and picture gallery.

 
Magyar | Romana | English | Deutsch