udv-hsz hsz-csik
2017-12-13

Min: 0
Max: 2
Min: -2
Max: 0

About Székelykeresztúr

Székelykeresztúr (Cristuru-Secuiesc) is the most significant economical-organizational and educational center of the Cristuru-Secuiesc basin.

Its role as a town had a very peculiar development.
Only later did it develop from district residence, region center and large commune into a market-town and then town.
In 1956 it received the rank of town again.
Today it is one of the small towns of Harghita county with 10, 596 inhabitants (1992) - together with Filias - (out of which 262 Romanians, 10059 Magyars.).
The border of the town stretches in northwest-southeast direction along 15 km, the town borders 10 villages.

Sights:

  • The bronze statue of Petőfi Sándor
    Opposite to the cinema on a small square, statue made by András Márkos sculptor (1971).
  • The bronze statue of Nicolae Balcescu
    One of the beautiest statues of the great romanian revolitionary, is made by Mircea Spătaru in the year of 1971.
  • Roman Catholic parish church
    One of the historic monuments of Harghita county. Situated in Libertatii square no. 9., the church was built in late Gothic style, probably before the 15th century.
  • Unitarian church
    The church, together with the tower was built between 1781-92.
    Its style combines Baroque and Classicist elements.
  • The Molnár István Museum and open-air ethnographic section
    Historic monument, one of the most significant country museums of the region and the whole county.
    It has valuable ethnographic - folk-art and natural history permanent exhibition and a significant archeological-historical collection of totally 40,000 objects.
  • The Gyárfás-mansion
    Situated in the Petőfi Sándor street no. 34., the classicist buildings built in the place of a late mediaeval mansion.
    Today it houses a sanatorium.

  Town's hatchment

Photo: Szakács Géza
 
Magyar | Romana | English | Deutsch