udv-hsz hsz-csik
2017-08-24

Min: 22
Max: 25
Min: 8
Max: 10

About Parajd

Parajd is the natural centre of the Szekler 'Salt Country', one of the most important salt-mine places of the Carpathian Basin.

Parajd is situated 8 km far from Sovata, 62 km from Targu-Mures, 38 from Odorheiu-Secuiesc and 51 km from Gheorgheni. We can call the village „the gate of Harghita county”.

5 villages belong to the community today: Parajd (Praid), Alsósófalva (Ocna de Jos), Felsősófalva (Ocna de Sus), Bucin and Békástanya (Becas).

Parajd is a relatively "young" countryside, being attested since 1564.

The name of Parajd comes from "paraj" with diminutives, meaning a small field covered with grass.
This "pasture" is crossed bz the Târnava Mica river and its affluents.
This used to be the favorite place of the great Hungarian poet, Áprily Lajos from which the World War separated him definitively

The salt dome of Parajd is the 'bread' of the locals. The development of the village is closely related to the salt mines. The old saying 'the people of Sóvidék base their future on salt' holds good even today. The large salt dome resembling some huge bread is a geological rarity in itself: in the "stomach" of the 1,600 m thick salt mass hides about 3 billion t salt that would provide for the entire population of the Earth for more than four decades. The salt-mine and salt-bath of Parajd deserve their country-fame.
From the surface entrance (480 m altitude) visitors and asthmatic patients are taken by bus along a 1,500 m tunnel down into 80 m depth, into the stomach of the salt dome. Salt exploitation is done at even deeper levels, the deepest one being 280 m under the entrance. At the eight levels of production salt is exploited in chambers with explosion. The distance between two levels is 25 m. The salt exploited here is greyish and of good quality. About 100 miners work in the mine, the daily product being almost 600 t.
 
 Sights:
- The Reformed Church was built on the left side of National Road 13B leading towards Gheorgheni, between 1790-96. The sanctuary has remained from the former Catholic church which was probably built in the 15th century. The fitment of the church had been finished by 1796.
- The Catholic Church was built in 1800. The Catholics belonged to Sovata after the Reformation and celebrated masses in a chapel for lack of a separate church. By the end of the 18th century they had formed a parish but did not get the church back. They built a new chapel in 1784, then the church in 1800. The number of the Catholic population increased from 130 to 500 in 100 years. In 1994 they satrted the building of a new Roman Catholic church that came to be finished in 1998.
- The Orthodox Church (Biserica Sfânta Treime) was built in 1929. Its founders were Izidor Popescu mine director, Ion Ghizeran theologian and N.I. Dimitraşcu stationmaster.
- The Lajos Áprily Memorial House was built in the vicinity of the sports ground and it was inaugurated on 19th October 1991. At the memorial exhibition, documents and objects related to the works of the poet can be seen.

 

 

 

 
Magyar | Romana | English | Deutsch