udv-hsz hsz-csik
2017-08-24

Min: 22
Max: 25
Min: 8
Max: 10

About Küküllőkeményfalva

Küküllőkeményfalva (romanian name Târnoviţa) layes at the bottom of Hargita Mountains, on the both sides of  Nagyküküllő river.

This small village is situated between Székelyudvarhely and Gyergyószentmiklós and it is only 2 km long. It is 12 km from Székelyudvarhely,  on the way to Gyergyószentmiklós, approachable on 138 county road.

The last census revealed 656 inhabitants, out of which 25 are Reformats, 4 Unitarians, 5 Orthodox and the rest are Catholics.

The name of the village (Küküllőkeményfalva – Küküllő is the river crossing the land, kemény means strong, falva/falu means village) comes from a very hardworking, strong horse, which was pulling the wood down the forest to the river,  knowing the fact that the local people ‘s main activity was the logging.

In 1566 appears as Keményfalva in written documents, in 1567 is marked with 10 gates in the Regestrum.

In 1602 is named Keményfalva Kikellő. During the medieval period the settlement hasn’t got an own church, therefore the practicing Christians went to Zetelaka. The church you can see today was built in 1802. Starting 1894 the village becomes a separate parish. In the beginning this was a Catholic village, and, after years of reformation, becomes once again Catholic. The Catholic Church built here is declared historical monument, and its patron saint is St. László. On 27th of June the residents celebrate the saint-day, this being one of the most important dates of the rural community.

The inhabitants are called from ancient times “Seven Plum-tree Szeklers” due to the fact that every resident owned at least seven plums. These Szeklers were never serfs. They worked the land, owned live-stocks and worked in logging.

The climate is the same as in the highlands: snow comes early and melts pretty late. Fresh, cold mountain air is characteristic also in summer. Most of the land is meadow and forest.

The number of inhabitants dropped considerably before and after 1989. Many young people immigrated to Hungary, looking for a better life. After 1996 we can see an economical, industrial and commercial development due to the approaching town: Székelyudvarhely.

The village has its own school, constructed in 1978 with communal work. 

 
Magyar | Romana | English | Deutsch