udv-hsz hsz-csik
2017-08-24

Min: 22
Max: 25
Min: 8
Max: 10

About Korond

Large commune of Harghita county, one of the most famous settlements of Sóvidék.
Preserving its traditions, Corund is the typical example of the modernizing Szekler-villages: its trade, touristic and cultural role based on the pottery is getting more and more significant. Corund is situated next to National Road 13A, 11 km far from Praid, 18 km from Sovata, 29 km from Odorheiu-Secuiesc and 80 km from Miercurea-Ciuc, in the southern part of the Corund Basin, at 575-625 m altitude.

In 1992 it had 6,349 inhabitants (5,879 Magyars, 15 Romanians, 455 Gypsies).

The name of Corund is inseparable from the folk ceramics and pot industry. Being one of the Transylvanian centre of folk pottery, Corund means the survival of the folk art by continuing our traditions and it also means the welfare of the locals at the same time. The viable community deals with many things: traditional pottery, wood processing, tinder-making and trade.
In Székelyland, Korond is perhaps the largest, best-known potters' village. Since 1978 the pottery fair in Corund (Arcio - Árcsó) is organized annually on the first Saturday-Sunday of August. The location is between the bridge of Corund stream and the guesthouse. The traditional fair is the presentation of the ceramists and popular artists of Corund. The offer: pots, pans, cooking and boiling vessels, jugs, plates, tiles, vases, ceramics of applied arts and plastic art. The name of Corund in inseparable from ceramics: the village is one of the most important ceramic centers in Europe. There is a saying in Corund: " since the world exists they always produced pottery ." This is a Middle Age tradition that became industry. The first written source dates back to the year 1613, when the pottery guild from Udvarhely accused the people of Corund with bungling. The Korond pottery is exported in many countries.

There used to be an aragonite-mine (today natural protection area) and a famous mineral water spa (today it is the scene of the Árcsó pottery-trade).

Sights:
- Unitarian Church: The church, surrounded by a stone fence, stands to the east of the highway. It is registered among the monuments of Harghita county. Built in peasant-Baroque style, probably between 1720-1750, it has preserved late Gothic architectural elements as well.
- Roman Catholic Church: Built in 1911, consecrated to Jesus' Heart it still preserves some remains of the old Gothic church. There is a monument erected in the memory of the heroes died in World War I and II in the old village centre.
- Árcsó: Next to the way to Atia, the village of Árcsó on the border between Corund and Atia offers a place for a short rest. Its name comes from the 'dangerous salt' or 'flowing salt' locution. The sights of Árcsó: the salt-well, the well-sediments and the mineral water springs.

Village's hatchment:

 
Magyar | Romana | English | Deutsch